The Eclectic Society of ΦΝΘ (Phi Nu Theta) was established in 1837. It was the first fraternity established at Wesleyan, and the oldest local (non-national) fraternity in the United States. In 1970, Eclectic was the first fraternity at Wesleyan to coeducate and was renamed The Eclectic Society, without the ΦΝΘ.
The Eclectic House at 200 High Street was built in 1907 and was designed by Henry Bacon.
In 2013, the house was added to the National and State of Connecticut Historic Registries.